28 January 2011

pixie hat

The wool arrived in a hank, haven't seen one of these since I was a small child and was required to stand with a hank of wool stretched between my arms while my mother wound the wool into a ball.
I used two chair back to stretch the wool out.
Then started knitting using this (vintage) pixie hat pattern. It was a style popular in the 1940s and 1950. Not having much knitting expeirence I had no idea how the pattern would turn out, there were no pictures but somewhere it says "a knitted rectangle is folded in half and grafted together" but my piece of knitting ended up this shape:
and holded in half

I had to do some homework before attempting the grafting together - in kitchener stitch. There are squillions of online knitting help sites. I used this one and did a trial first with a different colour grafting wool so I could see the mistakes, the first trial had a couple. This is the second:
Now for the pixie hat...
The wool barely reached the end of the grafting but once I'd pulled the stitches tighter there was plenty.

Polar bear models the finished article but isn't really a good substitute for a 4 month old baby head.
Instead of trying to follow the instructions for a neckband with knitted buttonhole I made a
tie neckband using Sew Liberated instructions
And there's still some wool left over...

1 Comments:

Blogger BPheasant said...

It looks great too.

5:05 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home