29 May 2006

turtle recall















After I pulled this cat-head out of my bicycle tyre I went off for a bike ride hoping the thornproof innertube would live up to its name.














The irrigation channels are being emptied for the winter.
I saw something moving on the road and just saw a head and webbed feet disappear from view into a turtle shell.














It was this long necked turtle who must have decided to leave his emptying channel and try his luck on the road. I moved him off to the side just in case some heavier traffic came along.














The mud he was wearing for camouflage was still wet and slippery (so I dropped him...not from a great height, just a centimeter or two) and the legs and head stayed out of view for a very long time.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A turtle! Since when do we have turtles? And I've got some thorn proof stuff for my tyres now too, just in case.

10:54 am  
Blogger utw said...

It's the first I've seen in 27 years but I expect they've been around all the time. Even more reason not to go swimming in the channels?

11:17 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would have thought the brown snakes swimming about in them were a much better reason not to go swimming in the channels than the friendly turtles (I assume they are friendly - they were friendly in that Roald Dahl story, but these ones might be pesticide powered super-turtles of some sort).

11:26 am  
Blogger utw said...

I didn't find this one very friendly but maybe we got off to a bad start with me dropping him and he took umbradge. I have since found they are also known as the 'stinker' because of their defence system.

11:45 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home